Tuesday 20 May 2014

In Defence of Crucifixes


Why do we close our eyes when we pray?  

Do we think that the distractions of the external world are any less pervasive than those of our minds?

It seems to me that when we close our eyes to the physical world for fear of idolatry; we merely replace the idols of the external world with the idols of our internal world.  Physical idols can be torn down, burned, sold off.  Emotional and theological idols are more tenacious and much more difficult to identify and destroy.  This is why theology matters.  This is why crucifixes matter.

Paul says:

"When I came to you, brothers and sisters, I did not come proclaiming the mystery of God to you in lofty words or wisdom.  For I decided to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ, and him crucified." (1 Cor 2:1-2).

Lord, as we gaze upon your cross, may we turn from the misconceptions, misattributions, misappropriations and missteps we have formed about you in our minds.  

The hymn-writer says:

'When Satan tempts me to despair
And tells me of the guilt within
Upward I look and see him there
Who made an end to all my sin.'

May the crucified Christ who bears all our sin and opens his arms of love to embrace us, fill our vision at all times.  

No comments:

Post a Comment